10 things that are Poisonous to Dogs {that you might not know about}

Much as we love our dogs we all know that they’re not the most discerning diners! And if your furry friend’s food obsessed then you probably spending most of your time trying to stop them eating pretty much anything and everything that comes into their horizon. Below is handy list of things that are poisonous to dogs that you should watch out for. Some you might know about others maybe not…

sad lab
i
mage via pinterest

1/ Prescription medications for people.

Drugs that might be beneficial or even lifesaving for people can have the opposite effect in pets. And it doesn’t always take a large dose to do major damage.

Some of the most common and harmful medications that poison dogs include:

  • Prescription anti-inflammatory and pain medications can cause stomach and intestinal ulcers or kidney failure.
  • Antidepressants can cause vomiting and, in more serious instances, serotonin syndrome — a dangerous condition that raises temperature, heart rate, and blood pressure, and may cause seizures.
  • Blood pressure medications.

2/  Insecticides

Flea and tick products. Be careful when applying these and make sure you apply the correct amount also do not let you dog eat/lick or ingest any of these products.

3/ Over the counter medications

This group contains acetaminophen (Tylenol), ibuprofen and naproxen (Advil, Alleve), as well as herbal and nutraceutical products (fish oil, joint supplements).

4/ Pet medications

Just as we can be sickened or killed by medications intended to help us, cases of pet poisoning by veterinary drugs are not uncommon. Some of the more commonly reported problem medications include painkillers and de-wormers. Again pay close attention to the dosage and dog size and do not leave where the dog can reach them.

5/ Household products, from cleaners to fire logs.

Just as cleaners like bleach can poison people, they are also a leading cause of pet poisoning, resulting in stomach and respiratory tract problems. Not surprisingly, chemicals contained in antifreeze, paint thinner, and chemicals for pools also can act as dog poison. The pet poisoning symptoms they may produce include stomach upset, depression, and chemical burns.

6/ Alcohol and food

Your canine companion may look so cute as he sits there begging for a bite of your chocolate cake or a chip covered in guacamole, but not giving him what he wants could save his life. Animals have different metabolisms than people. Some foods and beverages that are perfectly safe for people can be dangerous, and sometimes fatal, for dogs.

  • Alcohol. Symptoms of alcohol poisoning in animals are similar to those in people, and may include vomiting, breathing problems, coma and, in severe cases, death.
  • Avocado. You might think of them as healthy, but avocadoes have a substance called persin that can act as a dog poison, causing vomiting and diarrhea.
  • Macadamia nuts. Dogs may suffer from a series of symptoms, including weakness, overheating, and vomiting, after consumption of macadamia nuts.
  • Grapes and raisins. Experts aren’t sure why, but these fruits can induce kidney failure in dogs. Even a small number may cause problems in some dogs.

Xylitol. This sweetener is found in many products, including sugar-free gum and candy. It causes a rapid drop in blood sugar, resulting in weakness and seizures. Liver failure also has been reported in some dogs.

7/ Chocolate. 

This gets a special mention as it’s often seen as a tasty treat for dogs (like it is for people). Though not harmful to people, chocolate products contain substances called methylxanthines that can cause vomiting in small doses, and death if ingested in larger quantities. Darker chocolate contains more of these dangerous substances than do white or milk chocolate. The amount of chocolate that could result in death depends on the type of chocolate and the size of the dog. For smaller breeds, just half an ounce of baking chocolate can be fatal, while a larger dog might survive eating 4 ounces to 8 ounces. Coffee and caffeine have similarly dangerous chemicals.

8/  Plants

They may be pretty, but plants aren’t necessarily pet friendly. Some of the more toxic plants to dogs include:

  • Azaleas and rhododendrons. These pretty flowering plants contain toxins that may cause vomiting, diarrhea, coma, and potentially even death.
  • Tulips and daffodils. The bulbs of these plants may cause serious stomach problems, convulsions, and increased heart rate.
  • Sago palms. Eating just a few seeds may be enough to cause vomiting, seizures, and liver failure.

9/ Rodenticides

If ingested by dogs, can cause severe problems. The symptoms depend on the nature of the poison, and signs may not start for several days after consumption. In some instances, the dog may have eaten the poisoned rodent, and not been directly exposed to the toxin.

10: Lawn and garden products

Products for your lawn and garden may be poisonous to pets that ingest them.

 If you think your dog has been poisoned take your dog, what you think that it’s eaten and if it’s vomited a sample of the vomit immediately to the vets.

{source webmd}

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...